Customized and connected
Auto interiors that are miles ahead of the competition
Drivers and passengers crave automotive interiors that keep them connected to the outside world, feature illuminated controls and ambient lighting, and reflect their individuality. Cost efficiently producing interiors with all these design and functional elements is a challenge for automotive engineers. New thermoplastics from Covestro meet this market demand.
Newly developed high-performance Makrolon® polycarbonate and Bayblend® grades make it possible for automakers to cost-effectively implement high-quality, Class A interior elements.
Products made from the inherently versatile material polycarbonate are the outstanding material class capable of producing transparent, colored and diversely decorated surfaces based on one material concept.
Here are a few of the possibilities:
- Makrofol® HF - 3D formable hardcoat films for scratchproof, chemical-resistant surfaces in two-look optics (matte / high-gloss)
- Rear projection technology with Makrofol® RP for driver information systems
- Bayblend® T XF and Makrolon® LED for kinematic multi-function displays
- Bayblend® T GF and Makrolon® LED for two-component back injected and backlight design trim in real-wood veneer
- Bayblend® PG and Makrolon® for electroplated components with integrated light functions
- Lightweight seating made of continuous-fiber-reinforced polycarbonate composites with diversely decorated surfaces
Additionally, process advancements, such as the DirectCoating/DirectSkinning (DC/DS) technology, allow for a single process to make a finished product featuring customizable color, texture and comfort. DC/DS combines thermoplastic injection molding and reaction injection molding into one step providing greater efficiencies and cost savings.
As automakers focus more closely on interiors, polycarbonates are a perfect choice for producing auto cockpits that are comfortable, customizable and connected.
The main properties of Makrolon® polycarbonate grades are:
- Good heat resistance
- Glass-like transparency, optical quality
- High dimensional accuracy and stability
- Easy processing
- Weathering resistance
- High impact resistance
The main properties of Makrofol® film grades are:
- High heat resistance
- Impressive toughness and elasticity over a wide temperature range
- Good stiffness
- Excellent electrical insulation properties
- Abrasion, weathering and chemical resistance.
The main properties of Bayblend® (PC+ABS; PC+ASA blend) grades are:
- High toughness – even at cold temperatures
- Dimensional stability
- Excellent creep resistance
- Low moisture absorption
- Good heat resistance