An Urban e-Vehicle concept with electrifying design
Automotive visionaries face a daunting task to create small, lightweight and efficient vehicles equipped for future intelligent transportation systems.
Alternative drive systems, car-sharing concepts and smart grid integration will play a major role in shaping these future vehicles.
Complete polycarbonate exterior skin concept contributes to a seamless look.
Industry sector: Automotive
Application: Urban e-vehicle concept car
Product: Makrolon® polycarbonate,
Bayblend® FR (PC+ABS; PC+ASA blend)
To achieve these desired results and make future personal mobility more efficient and sustainable, automotive visionaries are seeking new, high-performance materials.
With its broad portfolio of thermoplastics, Covestro is a strong collaborator in the development of efficient and low-cost solutions for the automotive industry.
From bumper to bumper and practically everywhere in between, Covestro’s urban e-vehicle concept showcases material solutions for lightweight construction. This includes replacing heavier glass with Makrolon® polycarbonate glazing, and forming light – yet strong – body panels with Makrolon® AG sheet or Makroblend® GR polycarbonate polyester blend with single-layer offline coating.
Other applications of Covestro materials on the concept vehicle include:
- A front end utilizing a fiber-reinforced polycarbonate composite sandwich structure and deformable crash elements, made possible with Makroblend®.
- Energy-saving LED lighting technology with custom Makrolon® polycarbonate and Apec® high-heat polycarbonate that help light the way for drivers.
- A self-supporting tail section with a composite structure utilizing Makrolon® with partial transparency to create a feel of spaciousness.
- Lithium ion modular battery system cases using Bayblend® grades for safe battery concepts.
For future personal mobility with electrifying design, functionality and energy efficiency, Covestro’s extensive portfolio of material technologies and systems offers automotive visionaries ready solutions.
The main properties of Makrolon® polycarbonate grades are:
- Good heat resistance
- Glass-like transparency, optical quality
- High dimensional accuracy and stability
- Easy processing
- Weathering resistance
- High impact resistance
The main properties of Bayblend® FR (PC+ABS; PC+ASA blend) grades are:
- High toughness – even at cold temperatures
- Dimensional stability
- Excellent creep resistance
- Low moisture absorption
- Good heat resistance